When You Fall in Love


from The Lover's Dictionary by David Levithan

For someone who hasn't been in a relationship for more than 4 years (or 5, I really don't remember), and does not even know what a real date feels like, I get to hear a looooot of love problems. I really don't get it, sometimes I fell that they just need someone to listen, but I can't help but give unsolicited advice, especially if it's the "kamot ulo" kind. I also realized that I always tell them the same things. So here I am to take note of those things. I will try to keep it short... if I can.
  1. Love yourself first - I think this is a given. I don't think it needs any explanation.
  2. It takes two to make a relationship work - If your partner has given up, and has said/showed it time and time again. I don't see any reason why you should waste your time to make it work.
  3. Yes people change, but they have to want it for themselves - Never love a person for what the person can become. Never force a person to change. Be a better person because you want to and not just to please someone.
  4. When you forgive, forgive fully - Do not store past mistakes in your emotional bank. Kung gusto mo manumbat, sumbat agad. Mas mukha kang tanga kung napatawad at napalagpas mo na saka mo lang naisipan na isumbat. :p But seriously though, when you've forgiven someone, you're ready to accept or work out whatever consequences resulted from that mistake.
  5. Courtship never ends - I don't believe in courtship before a relationship, but I believe it never ends once you're in a relationship. (Pang beauty pageant!)
  6. Don't just talk, listen - Don't expect you partner to understand what you feel all the time. If you see something wrong, talk about it. If you really want a relationship to work, you would not give up without trying to work things out. And working things out includes a lot of talking and listening.
  7. Don't expect your partner to help you let go of your excess baggage - I know some people wouldn't agree with me here, but your excess baggage is not your partner's responsibility. Also, why go into a relationship if you have issues? Why?!
  8. Being "in love" != loving someone - A relationship does not end when the sparks and the kilig is gone (or is not as often as before).
  9. Being committed means not looking for someone else/something better - Work it. You want your relationship to be better? Refer to #2 and #3. Digest it.
  10. Do not blame other people for the problems you face in your relationships - refer to #2.
  11. Ang ex ay ex dahil may dahilan - it's up to you if the reason is valid to say "enough".
  12. There's a reason why the brain is placed higher than the heart - taken from one of the forwarded text messages I received before. I know it's a bit cheesy, but it's a nice thought.
  13. And my favorite line of all "Matanda na kayo, alam niyo kung ano ang tama at mali". My default answer when I have no other things to say. Heh.
I have a lot of other things to add, but most of them revolve around this list. Plus my usual disclaimer to my friends, you don't have to listen to me. Like I said, I also went through failed relationships despite knowing these. I am not the right person to ask about relationships and ~love~. But I strongly believe that the above items are valid and requires common sense. Some of these I've learned from friends, some I learned from experience. *Breathes* It's past midnight and I have to sleep. So there, dear friends, if you're tired of hearing these things from me, well you can read it here. LOL.

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Body non-issues (well hopefully)

Bye Felicia!

Late Night