Cooking for one: Couscous + Sausage + Spinach Salad

I love to cook. I find cooking therapeutic. I love experimenting in the kitchen. But since I live alone, I usually cook for one. And since I want to blog more often, maybe I can blog about cooking for one.

I bought couscous from Healthy Options since I have never tried it before. I guess that would be a plus point since I have no idea what it should taste like. Looking for recipes, I stumbled upon this. It seems easy for a first timer and I think I can make up for some of the ingredients.

If I have cooked for you before, you know that I don't usually follow measurements or the recipe. I go for instincts and imagination. So for this one, I added a few other ingredients like bell peppers, olives, cheese,


Couscous + Sausage + Spinach


Ingredients:
  • Couscous obviously. (I think I used 1 cup)
  • Sausages (I used a piece of schublig, I wish I had more)
  • Minced onions and garlic (I love them so I really don't mind having a lot)
  • Bell peppers
  • Olives
  • Cheese (I used Gouda cheese because it's the only thing I have)
  • Tomatoes (one cup of purée tomatoes and one piece diced)
  • Spinach
  • Cumin
  • Cayenne
  • Lemon
  1. Sauté sliced sausages in olive oil until your liking.
  2. Set sausage aside and use the oil to sauté onion and garlic. Butter can be added. Butter makes everything better <3
  3. Add cumin, cayenne, salt, and pepper
  4. Add diced tomatoes when the onion is caramelized, also the bell peppers
  5. Add couscous and stir occasionally until it starts to brown
  6. Add puréed tomatoes (and water if you want) and bring to simmer until couscous fluffs. Couscous fluffs. Couscous fluffs.
  7. Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl then add spinach
  8. Add cheese and sausage once couscous has cooled down a bit
  9. Drizzle with lemon juice
  10. If you have spare olives (like I do), you can also add it
So there. This actually serves 3. And it is really better than I expected. Maybe it's because I'm in love with tomatoes and I really love how olives, bell peppers, and cheese goes well with tomatoes (and red wine). The spiciness is a plus especially during this weather. I love everything about it but I could have really used more sausage. Can't wait to try more couscous recipes!

Comments

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Popular posts from this blog

Body non-issues (well hopefully)

Bye Felicia!

Late Night